There is a policy allowing HIV self-testing. It is legal for private pharmacies and other retailers to sell products for HIV self-testing. One product for HIV self-testing has received national regulatory approval.
Policies explicitly allow HIVST
Policies under development
HIVST explicitly illegal
Authorized for use, sale and distribution
Studies related to this country
- Impact of a digital HIV self-testing strategy on referrals, new infections and linkage to care: results from a transition to scale cohort study in South Africa
- Building mobile phone-connected diagnostics and online pathways for HIV care: early findings from the m-Africa formative study in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
- Ability to use oral fluid and fingerstick HIV self-testing among South African MSM
- Health care users’ knowledge, attitudes and perceptions of HIV self-testing at selected gateway clinics at eThekwini district, KwaZulu-Natal province, South Africa
- Acceptability of HIV self-testing among men and women in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
- Increasing uptake of testing and treatment initiation among men through HIV self-testing
- HIV self-test distribution increases test frequency in South African MSM
- Optimal HIV testing strategies to increase HIV diagnosis in South Africa
- Oral fluid HIV self-test performance in rural South Africa
- Innovations in HIV testing (TI)
- High acceptability and increased HIV testing frequency following introduction of HIV self-testing and network distribution among South African MSM
- Usability assessments of HIV self-tests
- I can do this myself: investigating the acceptability of a web-based, HIV self-testing service in South Africa
- Self-testing: an effective means of increasing HIV-testing and status awareness
- HIV self-testing, self-stigma and HAART treatment at the University of Limpopo: health sciences students' opinions and perspectives
- Are women more likely to self-test? A short report from an acceptability study of the HIV self-testing kit in South Africa
- Can laypersons in high-prevalence South Africa perform an HIV self-test accurately?
- High acceptability of HIV self-testing among technical vocational education and training college students in Gauteng and North West Province: what are the implications for the scale-up in South Africa?
- Choice in HIV testing: the acceptability and anticipated use of a self-administered at-home oral HIV test among South Africans
- Adolescents' experience of a rapid HIV self-testing device in youth-friendly clinic settings in Cape Town South Africa: a cross-sectional community based usability study
- Supervised oral HIV self-testing is accurate in rural Kwazulu Natal, South Africa
- Client-initiated, provider-initiated, or self-testing for HIV: what do South Africans prefer?
- I think it is right: acceptability of an HIV self-test by lay users in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
- I know that I do have HIV but nobody saw me: oral HIV self-testing in an informal settlement in South Africa
- HIV self-testing could revolutionize testing in South Africa, but it has got to be done properly: perceptions of key stakeholders
- Will an unsupervised self-testing strategy for HIV work in health care workers of South Africa? a cross sectional pilot feasibility study